Today I head to “beautiful” Alton, IL for a wedding. I already know that everyone’s mind is on the Kentucky Derby, and luckily there is an Off Track Betting parlor near the church so the guests can get their gambling fix.
I’m still trying to get back in the groove of things after last week’s bachelor party weekend. I managed to spend about $600, including a new car battery to guarantee that I wouldn’t be stranded in the fine city of Louisville.
In addition to the Best Of articles below, I want to call attention to a series of articles posted at Don’t Quit Your Day Job, in response to Rob Bennett’s guest post here – The Buy and Hold Myth. If you enjoyed the article and brouhaha in the comments, make sure you check out PK’s take. I try to bring you interesting and thought provoking articles, and though some of the reactions to Rob’s piece were incendiary, he did a good job of trying to keep the debate on topic.
Thanks everyone for reading and have a great weekend!
BEST PERSONAL FINANCE (AND LIFESTYLE) WRITING OF THE WEEK
- Corey at 20s Finances has one of his most in-depth posts ever, on Why Cars Are Destroying Society.
- Coincidentally, Financial God touts the future of mass transit as one being centered around the automobile.
- Jeff at Money Spruce asks, why wait until you are retired to travel when you can do it now?
- Roshawn Watson takes a look at why the rich get richer.
- Erin at The Dog Ate My Wallet gives a personal take on long term unemployment.
As usual my work was featured around the web. Make sure you check out these great host sites:
- Yakezie Carnival at The Frugal Toad
- Fin. Carn. for Young Adults at 20’s Finances
- Carnival of Retirement at Young, Cheap Living
- Carnival of MoneyPros at Money Cone
- Carnival of Financial Planning at Personal Dividends
- Totally Money Blog Carnival at Debt Blackhole
- Carnival of Financial Camaraderie at 101 Centavos